Newton Tackle & Gun Centre Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soaking but another Bass

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Soaking but another Bass Empty Soaking but another Bass

Post by Barry Island Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:14 am

Encouraged by my success a few weeks back and a weather forecast predicting crap weather I decided to try my luck again down on the South Hams. The tides also appeared to be the same as the last time I tasted success. Set the alarm for 5.30a.m. and planned ahead by staying up late and drinking too much red wine. I’ll never learn.
Despite the previous night’s ‘preparation’ I managed to get up and scuttled off to the South Hams arriving at 7.00a.m. not so bright and breezy in mist and rain. Set up the Bass rod and the trusty Viking Herring lure and yomped off down the beach only to find I couldn’t get round the headland as the tide hadn’t receded far enough. Ho hum retreated to the car for an extra hour of shuteye. Enjoyed that listening to the rain pounding on the car roof until 8 o’clock got me moving again.
Got a welly full of water on the way round the headland but was so wet it made little difference anyway. Arrived at the spot I fished last time to find the tide ripping through and a lot more weed that on the previous trip. Nevertheless started casting and retrieving with high hopes getting anywhere between 40 and 60 yds with the lure depending on the level of co-ordination I was able to muster. One hour and a lot of weed later I had started singing aloud to myself to keep the old spirits up as it was proving hard work and the fish weren’t playing. A couple of dog walkers looked worried as they passed, probably because I was looking a bit wild and mad.
Moved down the beach a bit cast out and bang the old rod tip started jagging. Started using braid this year and you don’t half notice the difference between it and mono. The fish came straight to the top and I could see it was a reasonable size and angry. I started to ease it back as the tide was still running quite fiercely and it was trying to dive deeper. A couple of runs and I had it in the shallows which is where I have lost a few in previous trips as the water boils around a lot of rocks. Very gently I used the waves to beach it and as always with bass I am stunned by its appearance. A decent fish which when weighed was 2lb 1oz exactly, not a monster but very welcome and a real lift just as I was getting a bit disconsolate. This spinning lark can be hard work when you get no rewards.
Soaking but another Bass BassJuly09007
An hour and a half later I haven’t had a sniff of ‘owt else but with one fish in the bag I am grateful I didn’t blank, am reassured I can catch fish suggesting my previous catch wasn’t a total fluke, and know I can pick up a bacon sarnie on the way home to dry out. I am a very lucky chap.
Soaking but another Bass BassJuly09012
Barry Island
Barry Island
Top TFAC Member

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Soaking but another Bass Empty Re: Soaking but another Bass

Post by Martin Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:33 am

Nice one Ian, both the fish and the tale! Thanks for the input and if I ever get an hour I definately need to catch one of these boys!

Pop in when you have five minutes for a chat.
Martin
Martin
Admin

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-03-11

http://www.newtontackleandgun.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi Ian, nice bass. Very Happy
Could be worth taking a look at Beesands, I went there with my boys last weekend during the evening. The weather was very fine, no wind and flat sea so I wasn't expecting to catch much if anything.
I noticed a flurry of activity on the surface close in as sprats were being driven to the surface.
Anyway to cut a long story short, we cast into the middle of it using small white lures and bingo! We caught a 2lb bass (and missed a couple more) Evil or Very Mad The guy fishing next to us caught another two good sized bass.
The excitement didn't last long before they had moved on but it was well worth it.

I've also heard that bass are putting in an appearance in Torquay close to the shore near the theatre, same tackle set up.
flip
flip
Greenhorn

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Island Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks Flip - great fish aren't they. I haven't been able to get out for a while but hope to have a go at the end of the month.
Barry Island
Barry Island
Top TFAC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Yep, better get yer skates on, I just got another call from a mate, more Bass caught in Torquay today. I feel a sicky coming on, could last all week fishing
flip
flip
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:18 am

The Bass in South Devon are finally coming of age (or size in their case) the guys coming in the shop are regularly catching 3lb plus fish from Teignmouth (in the estuary and off the beach) sand eels and white lures are the order of the day - no change there then Laughing
Martin
Martin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Tried Beesands again but no luck this time. I think the fact that I was trying a different method of casting may not have helped. Back to the sea and casting over my head, then reeling in... Shocked

...they should ban topless bathing. What a Face
flip
flip
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Island Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:45 pm

What?Ban it for blokes?
Barry Island
Barry Island
Top TFAC Member

Back to top Go down

Soaking but another Bass Empty bass

Post by elliott Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:42 pm

if anyone interested the bass are at dawlish warren,razor fish the bait but dont be shy with bait 5-6 to a hook about 30 -40 yards out good luck Very Happy

elliott
Gettin' It On

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:27 pm

Barry Island wrote:What?Ban it for blokes?

lol!
No women! Ban the topless women, bloody distracting!

Hang on what am I saying Shocked On second thoughts they should make it compulsory for women to go topless on the beach.

...unless they are a bit old and wrinkly of course

...or 'heavily boned' (see, I can do diplomacy)

Oh and if they're ugly they should wear dark glasses and a hat Grin

There that should clear up any confusion Very Happy
flip
flip
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:30 pm

elliott wrote:if anyone interested the bass are at dawlish warren,razor fish the bait but dont be shy with bait 5-6 to a hook about 30 -40 yards out good luck Very Happy

Never used razor fish as bait, where do I get some?
Does it come frozen or do you have to hunt em and if so where?
flip
flip
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Soaking but another Bass Empty razors

Post by elliott Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:57 am

i get mine sent from scotland my mate has a whole sale fish business i can get some for you if you want and leave them in the tackle shop 4 you, painton beach low tide after eastly blow you should find them,broudsands,goodrington sands again after eastly blow. if not get empty bottle of coke fill it with sea water and add extra salt, walk to the water where the sand the wetest walk backwards slowly if you see a jet of water come out a hole start squeezing water down the hole, this unsets them so they rise to the open then when they pop up grab them,but they move fast so be quick. this can be done at most sandy beaches good luck lol Very Happy but like i said i can get them and they are alive

elliott
Gettin' It On

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:11 am

elliott wrote:i get mine sent from scotland my mate has a whole sale fish business i can get some for you if you want and leave them in the tackle shop 4 you, painton beach low tide after eastly blow you should find them,broudsands,goodrington sands again after eastly blow. if not get empty bottle of coke fill it with sea water and add extra salt, walk to the water where the sand the wetest walk backwards slowly if you see a jet of water come out a hole start squeezing water down the hole, this unsets them so they rise to the open then when they pop up grab them,but they move fast so be quick. this can be done at most sandy beaches good luck lol Very Happy but like i said i can get them and they are alive

Thanks for the offer Elliot I may well take you up on it, but I've just got to take Josh and try catching some using the method you suggested first. lol!
flip
flip
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Soaking but another Bass Empty no prob

Post by elliott Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:55 pm

anytime mate always glag to help Very Happy but if you need them let me no fishing tight lines

elliott
Gettin' It On

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:25 am

There was a last minute change of plans when Josh suddenly decided that he wanted to try fishing somewhere different on Saturday so we went to Wembury.
The wind was Westerly, there was a little bit of surf and quite a bit of floating weed but the water looked a promising colour.
We decided to fish on the beach, rather than take a 10 - 15 minute walk around the headland with our bass rods where we had spotted some promising looking marks.
The weed wasn't a problem for the bottom gear as it was very close in and we were able to fish over it OK. The bottoms sandy here so no problems with lost tackle

There were a couple of guys fishing off the rocks at the far right of us and it looked like they were busy, with hindsight we should have just grabbed our bass rods and taken the walk. One passing walker kindly informed us that he'd been watching them catch several bass Evil or Very Mad

Josh caught a small bass on rag and a thin strip of squid, but our efforts at spinning came to nothing from the beach.
This is the first time we've fished Wembury and we'll come again but we'll travel light next time. Smile

Soaking but another Bass Wembury005

Soaking but another Bass Wembury003
flip
flip
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Island Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:12 pm

Good pics and report - lots of marine life/grub on or around the beach so I am not surprised you found some fish. Well done.
Barry Island
Barry Island
Top TFAC Member

Back to top Go down

Soaking but another Bass Empty bass bashing

Post by elliott Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:11 pm

that looks a lush bass mark just wondered where it was as it looks good for bass and flatties any chance you can tell me where it is and how to get there please

elliott
Gettin' It On

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:09 am

elliott wrote:that looks a lush bass mark just wondered where it was as it looks good for bass and flatties any chance you can tell me where it is and how to get there please

No problem Elliot. Soaking but another Bass Icon_smile

Soaking but another Bass Wembury1

Soaking but another Bass Wembury2
flip
flip
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Great reporting guys and well done on the catch. Thanks for posting a map, it makes it much easier for people to find the marks.
Martin
Martin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Soaking but another Bass Empty bass bashing

Post by elliott Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:02 pm

thanks flip i have been there long time ago the plymouth lads tell me you can sometimes get ray there but mainly bass but thanks ago mate perhaps we could meet up down beesands or slapton one day il be there over the week end with these big tides

elliott
Gettin' It On

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:43 pm

Yes Slapton fishing well last week, Easterly had the surf rolling in nicely and good colour in the water. Took my boy Josh and his mate after school on Tuesday for a couple of hours, almost unfishable LOL. His mate caught a bass though so it was worth the trip.
Did you go to Beesands on the weekend how did the trip go?

We'll have to arrange to meet up, weekends are best, location depending on the wind direction.
flip
flip
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Soaking but another Bass Empty slapton

Post by elliott Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:18 pm

hello flip i went slapton in the end had fish 1 small bass 2 small flounder then the dogs started lol,il leave slapton for about 2 weeks and see if the dabs turn up? woul love to meet up some time and drown a few warms lol il be doing mainly evenings for a bit when the tides drop eastportlemouth for a ray i think but let us no when your free and see wat i can do Soaking but another Bass Icon_biggrin

elliott
Gettin' It On

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi Elliot, probably be going either Friday evening or Saturday don't know where yet depends on the wind direction. We haven't fished around East Portalmouth sounds interesting.
flip
flip
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post by flip Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:35 pm

You have a PM Elliot Soaking but another Bass Icon_eek Soaking but another Bass Icon_smile
flip
flip
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Island Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:35 am

Barry Island
Barry Island
Top TFAC Member